We’re backing Supporter Ownership Week 2015
Wrexham AFC is part of a nationwide campaign launched today that celebrates ownership of football and Rugby League clubs by their supporters and their communities.The campaign has been put together by Supporters Direct, the organisation that helps supporters become involved in the ownership of their clubs.
A crowdfunding campaign is already running alongside the campaign, where people can donate to raise money for SD to provide more support for supporter ownership in the future. http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/supporter-ownership-week
For those who cant make our last home match of the season versus Braintree on Saturday 18th April at 1500, there are around 60 matches involving supporter-owned clubs during the week, almost every supporter-owned club being in action.
SD has created a special Matchfinder service so that you can watch a match at your local supporter owned club: http://www.supporters-direct.org/supporter-ownership-week/match-finder. Some of the key clashes are matches between supporter owned clubs:
- Wycombe Wanderers v Exeter City – Tuesday 14th April, 19:45
- 1874 Northwich v Congleton – Tuesday 14th April, 19:45
- AFC Wimbledon v Wycombe Wanderers – Sat 18th April, 15:00
FanFootage will partner with SD to chart matchday experiences at all 40 supporter owned clubs; stitching them together to make the largest attempted supporter sourced video ever seen, to showcase what makes matchday at a supporter owned club so special.
During the next seven days there will also be a series of other events across the country and online, including:
- ‘Unsung Heroes’ will celebrate the work of volunteers at supporter owned clubs. Clubs will be asked to nominate a volunteer at their club who they think deserves special recognition, to showcase to the public those people that make supporter ownership just that little bit special
- A series of online Q&A’s with industry experts, including; Julian Tagg (Chief Executive, Exeter City FC), Spencer Harris (Director, Wrexham FC) and Gareth Evans (Marketing & Media Director, Hunslet Hawks)
- SD Supporter Hub:Supporter ownership in non-league football. A chance for non-league supporter owned clubs to discuss and share ideas (Sunday 12th April)
- ·The Pompey Story: Hear the inspiring story of Pompey's journey to supporter ownership. We will be hearing from club legend Alan Knight amongst other (Monday 13th April)
- ·Visit SD at theNational Football Museum (Wednesday 15th April)
Further information can be found on the Crowdfunder website: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/supporter-ownership-week
Supporter ownership plays an important role in SD’s core work to ensure that supporters have a voice at their clubs, alongside that of establishing supporters’ trusts and campaigning for changes in the rules to benefit the supporters and communities that sustain all clubs.
Keep an eye on the website www.supporters-direct.org/supporter-ownership-week, on twitter at @suppdirect, or www.facebook.com/supportersdirect Use the Hashtag #SOW15 #Ours